AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Awards Presented at the 2018 AIA Iowa Awards Celebration
Friday, September 21, 2018
AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Awards
Presented at the 2018 AIA Iowa Awards Celebration
Des Moines, Iowa (September 20, 2018) – Iowa architecture firms were recognized at the American Institute of Architects, Iowa Chapter’s (AIA Iowa) Annual Awards Celebration held Thursday, September 20, at the newly restored Diocese of Des Moines Pastoral Center, 601 Grand Ave. in Des Moines. Over 250 people joined together to honor the recipients of the AIA Iowa Design Awards and Craft Awards in the categories of Honor, Merit and Honorable Mention.
AIA IOWA EXCELLENCE IN DESIGN AWARDS
The AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Awards recognizes excellence in architecture projects which are design by members of AIA Iowa and emphasizes the importance of architecture in the community.
HONOR AWARD RECIPIENT
One 2018 AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Honor was presented to BNIM Architects
- BNIM Architects received an award for the design of Westport Presbyterian Church located in Kansas City, MO. The jury commented, ‘We loved the respect paid to the historic fabric, and the boldness of the new construction. This building is an example of architecture as a conversation between generations.’
MERIT AWARD RECIPIENTS
The 2018 AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Merit was presented to two Iowa architecture firms, including BNIM Architects & Neumann Monson Architects.
- BNIM Architects received an award for the Center for Advanced and Emerging Technology located in Omaha, NE. The jury commented, ‘Love the idea that a building about innovation didn’t feel the need to communicate a strategy that we would consider innovative in 2018…but then might not in 2028, it feels timeless.’
- BNIM Architects received an award for the design of Markers Quarter Block D located in San Diego, CA. The jury commented, this project ‘super clean presentation and a thoughtful design, love the interplay of concrete as a material with an associated color.’
- Neumann Monson Architects received an award for Intermodal Transportation Facility located in Dubuque, IA. The jury commented, ‘The word that comes to mind is “awareness” site context of concrete roadways, brick buildings, people and vehicles moving…response is highly aware of that context, and responded with a concrete, terra cotta, glass and steel structure, in which each material is aware of its role, its potential, its limitations.’
- Neumann Monson Architects received an award for the Wellness Center located in Lone Tree, IA. The jury commented, ‘The building is appreciated as a gesture that reinforces its mission, feels like the building is in the midst of a pleasant yoga pose: balanced, breathing, not overly effortful, not annoyingly earnest. Just easy.’
HONORABLE MENTION RECIPIENTS
2018 AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Honorable Mention was presented to two Iowa architecture firms BNIM Architects & Neumann Monson Architects.
- BNIM Architects received an award for Seamans Center for Engineering Arts & Science located in Iowa City. The jury commented, ‘This building just played the note—simple form with clear circulation and a collection of spaces that felt alive and connected.’
- Neumann Monson Architects received an award for Riverfront Crossings located in Iowa City. The jury commented, ‘loved the play of the galvanized structure, with the perf panels, with their pops of color.’
AIA IOWA EXCELLENCE IN CRAFT AWARD
The Excellence in Craft Award recognizes Iowa craftspeople and/or companies who demonstrate particular skill and inventiveness in the execution and incorporation of their craft into the build environment.
HONOR AWARD RECIPIENT
One 2018 Honor Craft Award was presented to Neumann Monson Architects and craftsperson Architectural Wall Systems.
- Neumann Monson Architects along with Architectural Wall Systems received an award for the artistry of the building Exterior of the Voxman Music Building located in Iowa City, IA. The jury commented, ‘Love the overall impression of the façade…a lot of energy, a lot going on, but not busy.’
MERIT AWARD RECIPIENTS
The 2018 AIA Iowa Excellence in Craft Merit was presented to four outstanding projects across the state.
- BNIM Architects and Steve Holl Architects along with Architectural Wall Systems received an award for the skill used in the building Exterior of the Visual Arts Building located in Iowa City, IA. The jury commented, ‘We appreciated how the channel glass was a cousin of sorts to the [building’s] skin, accepting and broadcasting light from both directions in complex ways. We appreciated how these two elements met so cleanly, with the transitional details being so refined and tight.’
- Neumann Monson along with Johnson Machine Works received an award for the craftsmanship of the Perforated Stairs located within the Market One building, Des Moines, IA. The jury commented, ‘The jury was drawn to this project for the way it balanced a sense of darkness and light…gravity and space.’
- Neumann Monson along with Knutson Construction received an award for the skill used in crafting the Skywalk Handrail located in the West Campus Transportation Center, Iowa City, IA. The jury commented, ‘Loved the precision machining of all the parts, and the exuberance of the connections felt right to give an award to a handrail element that showed an awareness of it’s important role in being actively gripped and touched by hands.’
- Substance Architecture along with Seedorf Masonry and Neumann Brothers received an award for the technique used to build the sculpture entitled ‘A Monumental Journey’ located in Des Moines, IA. The jury commented, ‘Loved the story that was told about how the bricks were crafted, carving the bonding striations, hand trimming the bricks, the process to achieve the manganese iron spot flashing. The piece is so lovingly made that it just stops you in your tracks.’
These awards were announced in conjunction with the AIA Iowa’s 2018 Annual Convention, “Movement”, held at the Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center in Des Moines, September 20 and 21.
American Institute of Architects, Iowa Chapter
Since 1857, the American Institute of Architects has represented the professional interests of America’s architects. AIA Iowa, headquartered in Des Moines, is a statewide affiliate of national AIA with nearly 1,000 members. AIA Iowa members are committed to excellence in design and are proactive in the design of livable communities. Members adhere to a code of ethics and professional conduct that assures the client, the public and colleagues of an AIA member architect’s dedication to the highest standards of professional practice.
For interviews or pictures, please contact Jessica Reinert at AIA Iowa,
(515) 244-7502, or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.