Excellence in Design and Sustainable Design Awards were presented at the 2014 AIA Iowa Awards Celebr
Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Excellence in Design and Sustainable Design Awards were presented at the 2014 AIA Iowa Awards Celebration
Des Moines, Iowa (September 26, 2014) – The American Institute of Architects, Iowa Chapter (AIA Iowa) 2014 Excellence in Design and Sustainable Design Awards were announced during an Awards Celebration held Thursday, September 25 at the Des Moines Central Library. These awards recognize exceptional architectural design and sustainability and emphasize the importance of the profession in Iowa’s communities.
2014 AIA IOWA EXCELLENCE IN DESIGN AWARD
HONOR AWARD RECIPIENT
One 2014 AIA Iowa Excellence in Design Honor Award was presented to Neumann Monson Architects.
- Neumann Monson Architects (Iowa City) received an award for their work on the Des Moines Municipal Services Building in Des Moines. The building demonstrates the power of simple diagram and a carefully crafted envelope.
MERIT AWARD RECIPIENTS
Four Merit Awards were given to three architecture firms, including Neumann Monson Architects, substance architecture and Ask Studio.
- Neumann Monson Architects (Iowa City) was recognized for their work on Park @ 201 in Iowa City. The building was noted for elegant massing, beautiful diagram, maximizing the site area.
- substance architecture (Des Moines) received two Merit Awards. One for their work on the DART Central Transit Station and one for the Principal Riverwalk Pump Station both located in Des Moines. The DART Central Transit Station is an efficient yet dignified design, good for both lingering and moving through. The Riverwalk Pump Station integrates an urban infrastructure, creating a threshold between city and park.
- ASK Studio (Des Moines) was recognized for their work on the Corinthian Gardens Shelter in Des Moines. The structure acts like urban furniture, elevating an otherwise mundane challenge.
2014 AIA IOWA SUSTAINABLE DESIGN AWARDS
Three Sustainable Design Awards were presented to two architecture firms including RDG Planning & Design and Neumann Monson Architects.
- Neumann Monson Architects (Iowa City) was recognized for two sustainable design projects. One award was for their work on the West Campus Transportation Center at the University of Iowa and another award was for a private residence. Both projects are located in Iowa City. The Transportation Center has sustainable features to passively control water runoff and actively manage sunlight and heat gain. The private residence addressed sustainability in a rural context resulting in a striking piece of architecture.
- RDG Planning & Design (Des Moines) received an award for their work on the State Gym Renovation and Expansion at Iowa State University in Ames. The project manages to meet high sustainability goals while sensitively engaging an existing building with an understated design.
The 2014 AIA Iowa Awards Celebration took place in conjunction with the AIA Iowa Annual Fall Convention. The 2014 Convention, "Clarity," focused around the importance of collaboration with clients, builders, and the community for the development of a stronger basis of mutual understanding and better solutions for a quality built environment.
ABOUT AIA IOWA
Since 1857, the American Institute of Architects has represented the professional interests of America’s architects. AIA Iowa, headquartered in Des Moines, is a statewide affiliate of national AIA with nearly 1,000 members. AIA Iowa members are committed to excellence in design and are proactive in the design of livable communities. Members adhere to a code of ethics and professional conduct that assures the client, the public and colleagues of an AIA member architect’s dedication to the highest standards of professional practice.
For interviews with the award winners and/or for hi-res photos, please contact Denise Essman or Amy Kline at (515) 282-7145 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.